Sunday, January 18, 2009

V: Today's Tom Sawyer

Starting balance: $178.84

Ok, I highly doubt I am a modern warrior with a mean, mean stride, but I have been riding my little rush here and so far so good.

But first, a word on luck:

I know, I. K.N.O.W., that luck is the supposed enemy of the poker player. All of our efforts are aimed at minimizing it, neutralizing it, wrassling it to the ground and hog-tying it in a manner that would do the LAPD mighty proud. I know we should follow a Von Neuman/RAND Corporation-approved minimax strategy so that we can suck the very marrow from our good handls while staying in the game when the other guy flops a stealthy set of 5's. And so when we discuss our wins, we measure the role that luck plays in our game by negative yardstick; a lucky win is somehow a tarnished win, stained with an asterisk. But the fact also remains that no one -- not Doyle Brunson, not Phil Helmuth, and most certainly not Chris Moneymaker -- ever won the WSOP (or any tourney for that matter) without some luck. And more to the point, can't those of us who feel congenitally unlucky actually take a moment to savor this reversal in our fortunes, this relenting of the cosmic Judge. We shouldn't make luck a cornerstone of our careers, but there should certainly be a place in our hearts for a wild rumpus when it's our turn as river-rats.

I bring this up because I won a $5 one-table SNG thanks to two very lucky hands: Going all in shorthanded with AJc against a Chronic Blind Stealer (CBS) who shows KK, only to river an A and knock him out. Down to three handed, so in the money, I have K5h and again reraise and go all-in against another CBS (seriously, raising five out of every six hands). However, I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue, and he shows AdQh. Um. However, he too goes home when the board gives me A-2-3-4 for a straight to my 5 (how that A must have burned!). That gave me enough of a crushing chip advantage that even I couldn't squander it, and I took first place.

(Oh -- this was also my first stab at multi-tabling. I had $10 at a .05/.10 NLHE game during the tournament, and managed to parlay it into $31 on a nice little run of cards before quitting).

Interestingly, though, the hand that got me into the game was not a lucky one but a purely positional bluff. It's just two of us in the hand, and I've made a 3xBB raise with AJos; he calls and the flop came 6 7 8 rainbow. I bet the pot amount, and he smooth calls. Daddy no like. Turn comes a 9. Bet pot again, representing the straight. He waits, thinks, sadly, sadly, folds. Daddy like. This put me in 2d place at the time.

Then another one-table SNG: $6, NLHE turbo, six seated. Six seated only seems to aggravate the gambling that is already inherent in turbo, and so this was a bit crazy. I started out strong, nearly knocking out one of the players on the third hand with AA; he called my 5x BB raise with KQos and called my all-in reraise when the board came KJx. A tasty and satisfying start.

Then, some 12-15 rag-hands later, and I have AQ down. UTG, I raise again 5xBB, to 300 chips. All fold except one caller. Flop comes 8h 9h 2s. I set him essentially all in, and he calls. Turn comes a 5, and he's made his straight and taken 1/2 my chips. Humbling, but also instructive: there is limitless donkeydom in these games, and esp. in turbo folks will call all-ins with with only draws. Again, I wish I had such faith that Jesus really really loves me.

Later on, down to 3 players and I am short stacked at about 1200 with the blinds at100/200. I get KJs down, raise to about 600, same guy calls me. Flop come 2s 5s 7h. I go all-in on a Mail Mary, he calls with his set of 7's. Turn comes a spade, no pairs on board, and I am sweetly doubled up. I know that I overvalue it, but I can't help it: I love catching when I am chasing the chasers, and I love poker irony of any kind. Without more details of interest to anyone, I eventually accumulated a nice chip advantage that I used to bully them around, and again took first.

I am mindful of Khun D's admonition that I have to pay closer attention to cash management, and actually did so, you might note, in today's second session. I have 45 minutes til dinner, and will see what the cash games might yield.

Ending balance: $235.97

2 comments:

  1. Before I get chewed out for my raising:

    In my experience, people don't calibrate the size of the bet to the BBs in deciding whether to call or not, they just decide if "it's worth it" according to some inchoate philosophy that seems to float in the ether, and they tend more often to decide that it's worth it early on in a tourney.

    So when I raise from early position, I raise 4xBB and, sometimes even 5 if I think it's a table full of chuckleheads. Little else gets you any respect, and if I had raised 3xBB, my AA would likely have faced a family pot or close to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I only got 5 minutes in before dinner at the cash game, and so saw only two hands. Bought in for $4. Paid the $.10 blind for the first hand and folded. Next hand got doubled up when the K 3 x flop gave him top pair and me a set of 3's. It was such a promising start that my heart broke to go to the family dinner.

    Revised Ending Balance: $239.25

    ReplyDelete