Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Badger Claws His Way Back Up

My first session after getting to Asia was quite dismal: I played cash games and slowly saw my balance erode from $155 to ~$120.

Dismayed, I switched to an SNG and was doing better--I was running 1st in a 3-table event--until (and Douchebag witnessed this tragic performance) my pocket K's got cracked by lowly pocket-3's. Being the moody badger I am, I promptly tilted, my playing eroded, and I ended up 4th.

Last night I decided that it was time to regain some of that lost ground--not to mention pride! I signed up for some $.10/$25 cash games with the following rules:

1. Play 2 tables, with a paltry $5 buy-in at each.

2. Cash out of a particular table once balance is >$15.

The reason I do this is that I find that I am winning many (most?) small hands, but then losing the occasional all-in, when, say, my set gets beaten by a straight. So by keeping my stack small, I minimize the risk of a big loss which would wipe out scores of hands of tight play.

This approach makes sense for me right now, but *sigh* is probably the opposite of how a professional player would play (she would live for the opportunities to get all-in with her massive stack when the odds were in her favour). I am just not 100% confident in my judgment when it comes to cash games regarding when to go all-in vs. when to away (but I am much more confident when it comes to tourneys). This is a glaring, growling, snarling weakness that the badger needs to stare down!

So how did it go? After a disappointing start (full-house losing to a "fuller" house and the usual misery) I began slooooowly clawing my way up, careful to cash out/switch tables when I got to $15.

After about 5 hours of play, my $125 had grown to $174--my biggest balance thus far. So the badger is feelin' pretty good.

The bad news? It was a helluva lot of scratching, clawing and grinding...and I am still small-stack in comparison to Herr and Douchebag!

1 comment:

  1. Your forget that, come February, there will be (at least) $160 taken off my account for the double rebuy penalty, so in point of fact you are strongly in second place.

    Good show. But yeah, there is an awful amount of scrambling here at the ass-end of the food chain.

    ReplyDelete