Saturday, January 17, 2009

Babysteps

It seems like all through this challenge I have consistantly taken a step back before taking one-and-a-quarter step forward. The last couple of days have been no different. I guess it demonstrates the variance of poker quite well though.

Day 12: A mess
Starting balance: $284.02

I was all over the map on this day: 4 multi-table tournaments ($4, 180 seats) all endeing in tears, two Omaha PL $0.12/$0.25 sessions resulting in a $3 loss and 8 $10 SNGs resulting in a win and a 2nd. Not spectacular in any way and I finished the day on $256.12. Very messy indeed.

Day 13: Busiest day yet
Starting balance: $256.12

I managed a record-breaking 21 $10 SNGs and results were overall satisfying enough. Threw away some big headsup leads which meant profit was nowhere near as much as it should have been. I had 10 cashes which included 3 wins, 4 2nd and 3 3rds; a fairly pleasing strike rate. I also had three more goes at the $4 MTTs and made a final table in good shape but screwed that up royally. Navigating a final table is normally something I do quite well, but on this occasion it was terrible. I crashed out in 6th for a small profit. Winning one of these suckers would give a $216 boost to the balance, but so far this has eluded me. The finishing balance was however a solid $305.76.

Douchebag

3 comments:

  1. 300...so now it's time to start playing those $10 SNGs. You will be eclipsing me and BB in very short order, I expect, mindful as I am of Chris Ferguson's expomomential increases after he'd broke $100 or so.

    The battle for second place, however, will be fierce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can play $10 at $220 so have been doing those for a while. Next goal will be $440 so I can do $20 SNGs. Also getting away from single table tournaments with a bigger buyin will be useful. Right now I am limited to MTTs with $5 buyin, not many of those around.

    Today has been a good day and I now stand at $350.76.

    You playing on UB seems to be working for you. It is notorious, apart from the cheating, for having the softest games - and that is even clearer now that the 'clued in' players who read poker news etc and take poker a little more seriously will be boycotting UB. Possibly a good little niche for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lack your player-tracking, odd-calculating software, and more to the point I lack your skills and temperament, so I have to find my edge where I can.

    But yes, even I can't be so self-deprecating as to say that 4 first and 1 second place showing in 5/6 SNGs, or the extra $45 that I picked up at the cash game, are pure luck. So I will stick with UB for the nonce.

    ReplyDelete