Wednesday, January 7, 2009

V: Session #3: Working for a living

Starting balance: $49.40

In a day of far-too-many-to-count $1 SNGs, I managed a positive day, in large measure because I focused. Of all the tourneys I lost, the single biggest error is my simple unwillingness to listen to what the cards and my fellow players are telling me. Time and again, I know I am beat and yet, like some lemming cursed with self-awareness so that he knows that yet again he is hurtling himself off a cliff, I call, or worse yet, raise powerfully with second best. David Mamet, an accomplished poker player himself, seats this tendency in a deep seated need to have a cruel father relent; less Oedipally, I just want some proof that Jesus (not Ferguson) loves me.

I get neither, but I stay focused, and marvel at the sea of crap that is played, esp. the large number of players who call an all-in bet on the river with nothing more than middle pair when the board is 4-flushed against them. God bless them, though, as they may be the key to my salvation.

Unfortunately, as the only one in this trio that actually has a job, I haven't time to post in more detail. Suffice it to say for now that I am obviously not where I want to be, and worry about the exponential difference that may begin to loom between me and my competitors, but at least the trend is in the right direction (oh, as Poker Stars was restarting their server and so the SNGs disappeared at around 5:30 pm, I dipped into a .02/.05 ring game for a bit, which accounts for my strange ending amount):

Ending balance: $62.72

No comments:

Post a Comment