Saturday, January 17, 2009

V: Switching gears, switching sites

While still stinging from my recent disastrous showing at the tables, but with several poker-free days (and two pub quiz wins) under my belt, last night I stuck my toe back in the water with my Ultimate Bet account. Douchebag gives me grief for playing at UB, first because of a cheating scandal that they were slow to acknowledge, and then for some software problems that had pots shipped to losing hands. Fair enough, but the cheating never infected the paltry stakes for which I play and the shipping problems were not endemic and probably resulted from software problems when they recently merged with Absolute Poker. And the truth is, UB is where I played for years and I am just the most comfortable in its playing environment.

When I first sat down, I wasn't playing on continuing this adventure on UB, so I did not precisely mark my balance so it could serve as my rebuy amount. It was in the $60 to $70 range but, in the interests of fairness (because as per the rules I must take a double hit on the rebuy, I will say it was $80. Therefore:

Starting balance: $80.00

So last night, and so far this morning: very restorative to my confidence. I played four one-table SNG's: one for $20, and the other three for $10 (pace Chris Ferguson). I stayed calm, played conservatively, kept a clear eye not only on my cards (no falling in love with AK) and listened carefully to what the other players were telling me. True, too, I had some luck of the good variety (splitting the pot after reraising a blind stealer with my A7d and him calling with AKos) and little of the bad (my JJ all-in standing up against K8h) . The results: second place in the $20 tourney, and two back-to-back firsts in $10 games. In the last one, I felt my concentration slipping and bad habits creeping back in, so I called it quits after I busted out in 6th place.

Figuring I would try my luck again this morning, I have found myself at .05/.10 Om H-L game. Bought in for $10, had a nice Douchebaggian run of cards to bring myself up to $25.01.

Time for coffee and a fresh new look at the world. And sorry Douche, but viva Ultimate Bet (at least for the nonce).

Quick update: Just finished a $6 Om H-L Turbo one-table SNG. I hate turbo as a rule, because it encourages way too much gambling but I figured I'd ride my rush. Two very sweet A-high club flushes with no split pot: one got me in the game, the other kept me there. HU, with the blinds at 600/1200 was just crazy seesawing, and eventually I seed when I should have sawed, to take second.

Ending balance: $178.84


4 comments:

  1. Nice run. Chris Ferguson would be turning in his grave over your bankroll management skills, but I guess he can't argue with results. Careful that you don't give him the last laugh though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Very nice run. You both are putting some pressure on me--a good thing, since I have been slacking.

    I might echo Douchebag's remark: Omaha is very high-beta, so you need to watch those swings. $6 wager on one Omaha tourney!?

    And get your arse back to PokerStars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The $6 wager on a tournament is about the smartest move there. $20 for a SNG?! From a reduced bankroll? Obviously Ferguson is not dead so probably not rolling in any graves - unless he is very weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like Poker Stars. What's with that scratched cement environment? I feel like I am playing in a "Saw" sequel, and the other choices are humiliations like "Ye Old Saloon" or "Space Disco" or something. I find it distracting.

    Plus, I don't like how you have a bird's view of the table, or the small cards. UB has POV view, and big easy cards.

    I know these are weenie complaint, but I have some pudding as my proof.

    And yes, the $20 SNG was a lark, but I didn't really think of using UB to resume the challenge until after I finished in the money and said "hmmm, let's see where this goes."

    ReplyDelete