Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The long and winding road

This challenge is definitely not for someone who doesn't enjoy grinding. Multitabling for small stakes like this does not provide the highs or lows that putting the entire bankroll on the line does. Nor does it give you the chance to dream of that big win - the moment where you are in the top10 of the Sunday million with only 6000 people left. However it is extremely satisfying to prove that you can actually 'beat the game' by following the strict rules and grind out a profit. It is not because you threw a hail Mary at a tournament, because you lucked out in a massive Omaha pot or because you pulled off a ballsy bluff; it is you beating the players around you because you are BETTER - and that builds confidence.

Day 3: Slow and steady
Starting balance: $113.10

As I was 'eligible' for $5 SNGs (just) I threw a few of those in the mix but played mainly $3 SNGs as my balance went up and under the magic $110 line all session. I managed 15 SNGs which resulted in 4 wins and 2 2nds - including a remarkable win where I fought back from 200 chips. A couple of $2 (90 seater) MTTs ended in fiasco, but, as I am sure it was Jesus' plan, taking these shots for 2% of your bankroll does not hurt you much. At the end of the session I finished with a balance of $127.60 and a fairly optimistic outlook.

Day 4: Exponential growth and getting the treatment from the doomswitch
Starting balance: $127.60

Safely in the $5 zone I stuck to those all session - managing 12 SNGs which resulted in 2 wins and 2 2nds and 1 3rd place. Three attempts at the $2 MTT ended with two cashes for modest amounts. Especially in one I was crusing towards the win just when the final table started. On top of that I get dealt aces on the button. BB is another big stack so I make my standard 3xbb raise. BB just flat calls. Flop comes A K x and I now have the stone-cold nuts. My continuation-bet is met by a massive all in re-raise - and I can't call quick enough: winning this pot would give me about 80% of the chips on the table and most likely a good boost to the balance. But then someone flicked the doomswitch : Turn brings another K to give me Aces full and villain kings full. Not a problem - at least not until the river throws out the case king and the villain collects a massive pot and I am completely crippled. A couple of hands later I am felted and reporting to the rail. Only good thing about that is that it happened in a $2 MTT and not in the Sunday Million!

But overall a very good day and the balance now reads $151.87. Next big target is $220 and the $10 SNGs.

Douchebag

No comments:

Post a Comment