Saturday, February 7, 2009

Badger's Come-to-Jesus (Ferguson) Moment

OK. So I know this is my second entry today, after a bit of an absence, but I have been convinced of something: stop slow-playing in tourneys, Badge!

I have played 6 SNGs tonite, finishing 1st once, 2nd twice, and waaay back the other 3. Bad play on the 3 I lost, right?

Well, sort of...in that I have had great starting hands...and then screwed myself via "cagey" slow-play (clearly, I am always the coyote, never the road-runner!)

Despite the dual deities' (Harrington's and Sklansky's) advice, I opted, retardedly, to slow-play a KK, an AA and (post-flop) a low-straight. Guess what? Every single one of those "winning" hands either ended in my elimination, or my crippling to the point that I was effectively eliminated.

I am now about 99% converted to the theology of "value-betting" in tourneys (but not for cash games--totally different animal). I KNOW that when one is learning to play poker, the trap is a nice weapon to harvest more cash. But it is probably an over-used weapon (even in cash games) and an RPG that detonates in your face in a tourney!

Sure, it is nice to win a few more chips if your slow-play; but if your opponent flops or turns his 2nd pair (or straight, or flush) are you really laying down your top pair (or two pair or low flush)? Not unless you're Daniel Negraneau!

Herr and Douchebag, curious to hear your thoughts. Coming to realize that this has been a major leak in my tourney place. Indeed, comin' to Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Slowplaying is a must but an even bigger must is picking the right spots for doing so. Slowplaying for the sake of it is silly. Without recognising the boards possibilities, your opponents range of hands and possible scare cards it is just asking for trouble. Don't think you will ever fool the higher limits without a bit of trickery or slowplay but if it is not done properly it is just a grenade that will blow up in your own hand.

    ReplyDelete